A six-day BREATH-BODY-MIND™ Level 1 Teacher Training will take place Friday through Sunday, October 9-11 and November 13-15. Attendance at both weekend sessions is required. This program will be taught by BREATH-BODY-MIND™ originators, and internationally acclaimed experts, Dr. Richard Brown and Dr. Patricia Gerbarg.
As space becomes available we may also host a concurrent two-day Introductory Workshop on October 9 & 10. This will not be open for registration until August. If you’d like to be notified when registration opens, please email us at email@example.com.
PLEASE NOTE: This program is intended for service professionals interested in bringing Breath-Body-Mind into their work and community, i.e., librarians, social workers, mental health providers, probation/parole/reentry staff, and those in youth services. Participants who complete Level 1 training are expected to join our ongoing monthly BBM Interest Group and commit to supporting at least one public program in 2020-2021 as a coach.
In this first part of the three-level teacher training sequence, which will be taught by BREATH-BODY-MIND™ originators Dr. Richard Brown and Dr. Patricia Gerbarg, you learn to teach the core BBM techniques for stress, anxiety disorders, PTSD, military trauma, post-disaster, depression, ADHD, and stress-related medical conditions. Specific methods taught in this program include:
- “Ha” breath, coherent breathing, breath moving, and 4-4-6-2 breathing
- The Four Golden Wheels
- Body scan, Guided meditation/relaxation
- Trauma sensitive teaching
- Introduction to BBM for Children
- Precautions in teaching individuals with psychiatric and medical conditions
- Introduction to Integrating Breath Practices with other therapies
Increase understanding of neurophysiological effects of voluntarily regulated breathing practices on emotion regulation, bonding, and cognitive function. Practice teaching while faculty observe and offer suggestions for improvement. Attention is given to creating a safe container, tone of voice, pacing, accuracy of instruction, and trauma sensitivity.
With the completion of Level-1 Teacher Training participants will acquire the skills to:
- Teach the core BBM practices to other individuals.
- Assist in facilitating Introductory BBM workshops to larger groups
- Conduct follow-up (group?) sessions for those seeking ongoing practice
- Offer further guidance to beginners in these techniques of self-regulation.
- Help develop programs in their communities and workplaces.
Required reading and listening: Richard P. Brown and Patricia Gerbarg, The Healing Power of the Breath book and CD set.